Wiring Diagram for powering two 12v LRS-350 from the same power cord

Dizzy

New elf
Complete newbie here, first post too. Can someone please direct me to a wiring diagram showing how to power two 12v meanwell power supplies from the same power cord? I purchased a pre-built Falcon F16v4 controller box with only 1 power supply for all 16 outputs, and wish to add another power supply so that each power supply has only 8 outputs to power.

BrianZ

Full time elf
Hello and welcome. I'm also new here, but i did just that. I connected PSU 1 with the neutral, live, and ground to the same on PSU 2 and PSU 2 out to the single plug-in cable. But make sure you put a ground wire (V-) between the both supplies. I got the idea from Ni Family Lights who is amazing on power distribution and pretty much anything power injection and other stuff.

Check out his video here. He uses a receiver build but shows how the 2 PSU's are wired together. I've done it and works great!!

View: https://youtu.be/fAshyehnWyE?si=6adJL3mh3bgI-hp-

Dizzy

New elf
Hello and welcome. I'm also new here, but i did just that. I connected PSU 1 with the neutral, live, and ground to the same on PSU 2 and PSU 2 out to the single plug-in cable. But make sure you put a ground wire (V-) between the both supplies. I got the idea from Ni Family Lights who is amazing on power distribution and pretty much anything power injection and other stuff.

Check out his video here. He uses a receiver build but shows how the 2 PSU's are wired together. I've done it and works great!!

View: https://youtu.be/fAshyehnWyE?si=6adJL3mh3bgI-hp-

Thank you, BrianZ!

cloudbr34k

New elf
jumping on this thread. How do you know which wire gauge to use when connecting PS to controllers?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
A rough guide to current carrying capacity is 10 Amps per 1 square mm. So a 2.5mm (cross sectional area, not diameter) wire can carry about 25 Amps.

This works well for shorter distances, but beware of voltage drop on longer runs. For 240V power losing a few volts over a 10m run is no big deal, but at low voltages the voltage drop is a significant portion of the supply voltage. So long runs at low voltage can require cables that are much larger than just the required current capacity.